Northern IndiaOur retreat study will focus on Sanskrit, mantra, Nada yoga and Ayurvedic cooking and feature twice-daily practices and lectures whilst in Haridwar. Other days we will invite self practice or group practice as time and travel allows.
Our retreat takes place at the auspicious time of Navaratri
Navaratri is a nine night, ten-day festival in honour of the divine feminine. We will celebrate Durga’s victory over evil by infusing our retreat with prayers, puja (fire ceremonies) stories and mantra. A ghee lamp will be installed in the local houses and kept alight for the nine nights to symbolise the universe and the uninterrupted light of the divine feminine, Durga Devi.
We will observe the food rituals as this is traditionally a time of feasting. We’ll be immersed in the culture, celebration and enjoy cultivating and experiencing the Shakti energy that Navaratri brings. We will reflect on the symbolic nature of this festival, enquiring into the nature of our Dharma and the divine feminine. We will do this through the full spectrum of rituals and practices and by learning specific mantras to connect us to Durga’s energy of strength, resilience and fearlessness.
Refresh your Sanskrit
This fun module will inspire you to keep the sanskrit language alive for yourself and your students. Revise your connection to the ancient language of Yoga, the sanskrit alphabet and its unique sounds made by the 5 different mouth positions. Receive feedback on your pronunciation of postures, key words and mantras to ensure that with proper pronunciation, you are saying what you intend to say. We will also affect the heartmind through learning and practising sanskrit mantra, uplifting one another as we learn.
Mantra and Nāda Yoga
In this module, you will experience toning and projection techniques to build confidence whilst teaching, reading and chanting. As a leader you will tune into your unique voice so you can share and lead with confidence and humility. We will explore the effects and application of sound and mantra in Yoga. We will experiment with using the harmonium, learning and leading simple chants. Learn how to use sound bowls and music as a way of bringing nāda Yoga as a well thought-out layer into the yoga practice.
Learn simple and exciting ways to nourish yourself with Ayurvedic cooking from Anu who is a complete master in the kitchen. You’ll gain an understanding of the five tastes, how to cook fresh food quickly, experience her culinary secrets and cook amazing dishes and feast together. You’ll receive a copy of an ayurvedic cook book to keep you inspired when you get home.
Please note this will vary depending on additional group activities and excursions.
- 6.30am – 8am Yoga and mantra practice
- 8am – 9am Breakfast
- 9am – 11.30am Ayurvedic cooking class/ outing
- 11.30-11.45am Morning tea
- 11.45am – 1pm YTT lectures
- 1pm – 2pm Lunch
- 2pm – 6pm YTT lectures / temple visit
- 8pm – 8.30pm Evening practice/ puja
12 or 13th October
Arrive in Delhi. You are welcome to arrive a day early to settle in. Our retreat commences with a tour of Dehli at 10am on the 13thOctober.
14th October – 20th October
We will take a train to Haridwar, which will take around 5 hours. There, we will transfer to the Johari house our base for our retreat.
21st October – 24th October
We will stay and explore the Yoga capital Rishikesh + spend two nights at a mountain retreat in the hills of the Himalaya. On the 24th we will travel back to Delhi and fly out after 8pm or arrange an additional night in our first hotel.
Activities whilst in Haridwar at the Johari house:
• Two Ayurvedic cooking sessions with Anushree
• Yogic lectures/ study • Twice daily yoga practices
• Rituals and ceremonies to celebrate Navartri
• Food, feasts and twin share accommodation
• Two trips to holy sites/temples
• A trip to local markets and shoppingInclusions
• Airport transfers • Twin share accommodation
• All transport costs whilst in India (1 night in Delhi, 7 nights in Hardiwar, 2 nights in the mountains)
• Activities as listed above
• 3 vegetarian meals daily Exclusions
• Airfare to and from Delhi airport
• Travel Visa • Transport for additional shopping trips etc.
• Shopping • 1-2 x traditional outfits recommended for ceremony (you will be taken shopping for this)
• Henna (from $10)
• Jyotish for Vedic astrology chart reading ($ tbc)
- Arrange holiday insurance
- Arrange your e visa – 2 months prior to travel https://www.indianvisasonline.org.in
- Consult your GP for any vaccinations you may need
Flights – arrivals and departures
$4595 – twin share Payment plan: 7 x monthly payments $671
*Students enrolling in the advanced training receive a discount of $500 please contact Rachel to discuss.