The ancients believed that given the right environment the body and mind could heal itself of many common ailments. Rest, acupressure, gentle movement, herbs and foods were the mainstays of a return to health and creating a balance of Yin and Yang energies. In our modern, busy urban existence returning to a state of balance quickly is often needed, as many people are time poor. Here is a quick Heart-Brain Coherence technique that can be practiced anytime, anywhere within 30 secs or longer if you can take the time.
This practice helps synchronise our Heart’s electromagnetic field with our Brain waves. It can open the Mind to more positive emotions as it shifts our attention from our Head to our Heart.
Can be done with eyes open or closed, seated comfortably or lying down:
- Gently rest a few fingers in the centre of your chest or over your heart.
- Breathe into your belly and lightly into your chest, allowing your belly to expand and your chest to lightly inflate under your fingers. Repeat 2 more times.
- Now breathe in and out through the centre of your chest (with your belly still rising) and bring to mind someone or something that you feel care or appreciation towards, it could be a family member, a friend, a pet or a special place.
- Without straining breathe this heart-based emotion in and out through centre of chest. Repeat 3 more times or as many times as you feel to.
- As you breathe this feeling/energy/warmth can then be sent out through all the cells in your body and especially to any areas which require healing, as you continue to breathe.
- If you feel to it can then be sent to out into the world to specific places, people or to the earth/universe with the intention of love and healing for all that require it.
Check into see if your state of being is different than when you started the practice, what has changed?
Bringing our focus into our internal realm is known to switch the Autonomic Nervous system from Sympathetic (Fight or Flight) to being Para-sympathetic dominant (Rest & Digest) all within a few focussed moments of Intentional Healing.
Written by Diane Carter B HSc (Acup) Cert. Cosm. Acup. CMRB AACMA